Hybrids: Are they really easier on your wallet?
Hybrid vehicles have become quite popular in recent years, but are they really as good as some people claim? Whether you’re concerned about the environment or whether you want to save money on gasoline, it’s a good idea to learn more about these innovative vehicles. We here at Lawley Toyota can share our knowledge and show you some great Toyota hybrids including the popular Prius or hybrid versions of the Camry, Corolla and RAV4. Toyota makes a hybrid car or SUV that meets your needs and style!
Should you buy a hybrid?
Hybrid cars are very popular for a few good reasons:
- Fuel Efficiency - Since hybrid cars are much more fuel efficient than standard gas-burning vehicles, you end up spending less money on gasoline. While non-hybrids can range anywhere from 10-30+ MPG on average, hybrid vehicles often reach levels in the 40 MPG range. Some, such as the 2016 Toyota Prius Three Liftback, average more than 50 MPG.
- Environmentally Friendly - The consumption of gasoline, like all fossil fuels, has a negative impact on the environment. Studies have shown that carbon dioxide, which is produced when burning gasoline, can contribute to the greenhouse effect. Hybrids burn less gas than standard cars, so you’ll be reducing your vehicle’s impact on the environment.
- Feature-Rich - Hybrid cars have kept up with the demands of today’s driver. You’ll be able to find the latest technology, features, and luxuries. Small compromises may come in the form of a few feet of cubic cargo space, but hybrids can be just as safe and contemporary as any standard vehicle.
How do hybrids use technology to save you money?
Hybrids often use several advanced technologies to help increase fuel efficiency.
Some of the most common are:
- Electric Motor Assist - A hybrid motor includes both an electric motor and a gasoline combustion engine. While driving this “power assist” function aids the combustion engine, decreasing the amount of fuel burned.
- Electric-Only Driving - Some hybrid vehicles can switch completely over to the electric motor. Since the combustion engine is turned off completely in this mode, no gas is burned at all for certain portions of the drive.
- Regenerative Braking - When a car slows or comes to a stop, the brakes generate heat through friction. Hybrids can recapture some of that energy and store it in the batteries.
- Automatic Stopping - When hybrids come to a stop, the gas engine will turn itself off completely. Since the electric system is still running, it automatically restarts the engine when you apply the gas.
Should you buy a hybrid vehicle?
The vehicle’s initial cost can be more than comparable, gas-only vehicles, but over the long run, you can save money, reduce your carbon footprint, and enjoy all of the conveniences afforded by other modern cars. To find out what hybrid vehicles we have here at Lawley Toyota, call us today at (575) 538-3777 or browse our inventory of Toyota vehicles online.